WHAT IS HAEMATOLOGY?
Haematology involves the diagnosis and treatment of patients who have disorders of the blood and bone marrow.
THE ROLE OF THE HAEMATOLOGIST
Clinical Hematologist is a superspecialist who exclusively treats and manages patients with all kinds of blood disorders both benign and malignant.
Diagnosis and management of
• Hemoglobinopathies like thalassemia major, sickle cell anemia
• Various disorders of RBC, WBC, and platelets- like anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukocytosis, leucopenia, thrombocytosis, etc
• Bone marrow failure syndrome: Aplastic anemia, Pure red cell aplasia, congenital bone marrow failure syndrome
• Bleeding disorder: like Hemophilias, Von Willebrand disease, hemorrhagic disease of newborn, rare clotting factor deficiency.
• Thrombotic disorders like Deep vein thrombosis(DVT), pulmonary embolism(PE), cerebral venous thrombosis, inherited thrombophilias
Diagnosis, prognosis, risk stratification and treatment of various hematological malignancies like:
• Acute Myeloid Leukemia, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia,
• Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, Chronic Lymphocytic leukemia
• Hodgkin lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
• Multiple Myeloma, Plasma cell dyscrasia, Histiocytic disorders
• Myelodysplastic syndrome
• Polycythemia Vera, Essential thrombocythemia, Primary myelofibrosis
Bone marrow and stem cell transplant
• Autologous stem cell transplant for Multiple myeloma, lymphomas and autoimmune diseases
• Allogeneic stem cell transplant for Aplastic anemia, Thalassemia, various maliganant disorders, bone marrow failure syndromes.
• Cord blood transplant,
• Haploidentical stem cell transplant etc for various disorder.
• Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy sternal as well as PSIS
• Lumbar puncture as well as intrathecal chemotherapy
• Central line insertion IJV, femoral
• PICC line insertion
• Chemotherapy preparation and infusion.
• Stem cell collection by Peripheral harvest or bone marrow harvest
• Cryopreservation of stem cells
• Plasma exchange, Leukapharesis, granulocyte collection, SDP collection, RBC exchange
• Inherited disorders like thalassemia, sickle cell anemia
• Germ lime mutational cases of leukemia like down syndrome
• Prenatal genetic diagnosis of various inherited orders